Friday, January 22, 2010

I love chickens

I remember when I was a little kid, maybe 4 or 5, my family would go to stay at a small farm on Lopez Island.

Every morning I would wake up as soon as it was light out. Excited to get up and go see the animals and walk around in the grass. My brothers would go rabbit hunting and my mother and I would go collect eggs and talk to the pigs.

We don't have our own farm yet. I think it's just a matter of time and saving. But we've made due with the space we do have and started raising chickens about 7 years ago.

I still love the sound of chickens making a racket in the morning. And I love the sound of Elvis crowing.

My favorite thing is still going out and collecting eggs. I let the ladies out into the run. They run the length of it, getting up speed and flapping to propel themselves along. They're always looking to see if I've put out scraps for them and aren't shy about it.

Then I go check on the babies and collect the eggs. I know that chickens won't make me a ton of money. And we'll be lucky if we break even.

But there are few things more satisfying that walking in with a pocket full of eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment